There was a fairly large community here in the early part of the 17th century. They built a church and according to old records, Rev. Stephanus was the priest in 1713.
During the Sack of Delhi in 1739, King Nadir Shah’s army devastated the city which included the complete destruction of the Armenian church and cemetery, both of which were situated in the centre of the city. All Christian Churches and cemeteries that came into existence since the Sack of Delhi were likewise destroyed by the Indian mutineers in 1857. Only one small Armenian cemetery and the Martyrs’ Chapel attached to it situated in Kishengunge on the outskirts of Delhi escaped destruction. The oldest grave in this cemetery dates back to 1787. The Chapel and cemetery are being preserved by the Archaeological Department of the Government of India.